Between the immigration ban from seven Muslim majority countries, plans for a border wall with Mexico, “tougher” police tactics being encouraged and questionable cabinet member choices, we need to gather and work together.
In light of national directions and a state budget freeze that threatens social services and public universities, we will hold a meeting to assess the State of Our Communities.
The meeting will be interactive, with time for you to discuss and report back
– your core values (This I Believe)
– what you stand against (This I Oppose)
– what actions we can take (This I Will Do)
Sunday, February 12 from 3pm to 5pm
St. Nicholas Church, Evanston (school cafeteria behind church)
1120 W Washington Ave
– Congresswoman Jan Schakowsky
– Jes Scheinpflug, Open Communities
– Sergio Hernandez, Latino Resources
– Rev. Michael Nabors, Pastor of Second Baptist Church and President of the Evanston Northshore NAACP
– Maaria Mozaffar, Chicago Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR)
– David Borris of Chicago Area Peace Action
– Eileen Heineman, YWCA Evanston/North Shore
Lesley Williams, Jewish Voice for Peace
– Latino Engagement and Action Council (Latino Resources)
– Jewish Voice for Peace
– Muslim Education Center
– Open Communities
– St. Nicholas Church
– YWCA Evanston/North Shore
E-mail Ted Smukler if you’re interested in sponsoring and/or for accomodations.